AN IMPORTANT PAIR OF ENGLISH GEORGE III PERIOD CANDELABRA BY LAFOUNT
An important pair of English George III period cut-glass and brass mounted two-light candelabra by Lafount, the candelabra supported by cut square bases with lemon squeezer inset below, the candle branches and central shepherd’s crook of ribbed section and of typical scrolling form, the branches supporting van dyke drip pans and thistle shaped candle nozzles, all draped with round double pointed spangles and finial drops, the mounts stamped LAFOUNT PATENT.
English circa 1800
Height 18in (45.7cm)
Width 15in (39.5cm)
For similar pair of candelabra see plate 66, page 122; The English Glass Chandelier by Martin Mortimer (The Corning Museum of Glass) MOSES LAFOUNT Pleasant Row, Pentonville, in the county of Middlesex, lustre maker. On 19TH December 1796, Moses Lafount and Alexander Thomas and James Cox, glass manufactures of Falcon Glass House in Surrey, made an agreement to manufacture and sell Lafount’s new invention for a chandelier. Lafount’s name was used for the finished chandeliers, wall-lights, candelabra and was patented on 23rd December 1796.
Item Code: FA121