AN EXCEPTIONAL PAIR OF GEORGE III WEDGWOOD JASPER-WARE FIVE-LIGHT CANDELABRA BY WILLIAM PARKER
The foliate and guilloche concave ormolu bases of exceptional quality, with lion's-mask feet still retaining their original mercurial gilt finish. These mounting jasper ware concave plinths having swags and ram's masks, with designs by Lady Templetown of maternal scenes. The foliate socle surmounted with double ogee shaped receiver bowl cut with diamonds and gadroons. The containers issuing seven six-sided branches on three levels, five supporting van dyke drip pans and candle nozzles; a further two upper kick arms mounted with canopies and urn finials. The central faceted obelisk unusually mounted by twin J arm branches, supporting drop hung canopies and urn finials, further issuing a serpent down arm supporting drapery of pear shaped chain and finial drops. The candelabra terminates with urn finial with ormolu handles.
- Height 104 cm / 41"
- Width 68.5 cm / 27 "
- Depth 56 cm / 22 "
- Period 1750-1799
- Year 1795
- Country England
- Provenance With Fileman Antiques
- Literature In 1781, William Parker received a patent for candelabra bases of this concave square form. Between 1782-3 a set of four candelabra mounted on such 'patent' cut and gilt green glass bases on ball feet was delivered to the 5th Duke of Devonshire at Chatsworth (see M. Mortimer, The English Glass Chandelier, Woodbridge, Suffolk, 2000, p. 97, pl. 43). A three-light candelabrum with the same patent base in Wedgwood jasperware attributed to Parker is illustrated op. cit, p.107, pl. 54. A pair of two-light candelabra with jasperware bases and the same lion-form feet as the present pair, slightly later in date to the ball feet of the Chatsworth examples, was sold from the collection of Walter P. Chrysler Jr., Parke-Bernet Galleries Inc., New York, 6-7 May 1960, lot 495. William Parker's son entered into partnership with the Perry family, to become Parker and Perry in 1802-03 and later Perry & Co. in circa 1820, the prolific chandelier firm who received the patronage of the Royal family. The ormolu bases Attributed to Matthew Boulton, 1728-1809 Boulton was a key member of the Lunar Society a group of Birmingham-area men prominent in the arts, sciences and theology. Members included Watt, Erasmus Darwin, Joseph Priestley and Joseph Wedgwood hence the collaboration in creating the bases.
- Collections The only another known examples of candelabra with this ornate design of base can be seen in the Royal collection in the Wedgwood room (RCIN 35291.1-2 these however only retaining there original containers and now fitted with later Victorian glass tops, believed to have been made for George III. A set of four examples again in the royal collection unusually with only ormolu candle arms sections added at a later date, now in Duchess of Kent's Drawing Room at Frogmore House Windsor.
- Condition 1 urn finial of later date. Repairs to 2 urn finials. 5 drip pan points repaired 5 candle nozzle points repaired 1 later replacement nozzle
Thank you for your enquiry.
We will get back to you soon.
© 2022 Fileman Antiques Ltd.WEBSITE BY SEEK UNIQUE