AN EXTREMELY RARE GEORGE III PEACOCK GREEN SIXTEEN LIGHT CHANDELIER ATTRIBUTED TO WILLIAM PARKER
The baluster shaft centred by a covered urn and drop hung van dyke canopy the lower corresponding canopy surmounted with swirl and diamond cut finial the receiver plate issuing sixteen six sided candle arms arranged on two tiers these with drop hung van dyke drip pans and candle nozzles the chandelier richly draped with pear and circular shaped spangles.
English Circa 1785
Height 78in (198cm)
Width 46in (117cm)
With Nesle Inc New York early 1970s
Tavern On The Green New York
The Exquisite colour of this chandelier defines its rarity with only two other example known both have been with Fileman Antiques Ltd/Mallett Antiques London
See The Art of Enlightenment page 18 this showing the central urn. Published by Mallett London
William Parker is without doubt one of the most luminous names in the history of English chandelier making, he is credited with the introduction of neo classical elements into chandelier design. Parker operated out of Fleet Street from 1762, his first attributable work was commissioned by the Furnishing Committee of the New Assembly rooms, Bath, in 1771.
His work for the assembly rooms was celebrated enough at the time to be satirised by Thomas Rowlandson, according to Martin Mortimer 'Parker was the man of the moment, competent reliable fashionable. He provided the most splendid suite of chandeliers in the country at that for one of the most fashionable centres.
Parker's renown was only to grow: he was commissioned to provide chandeliers for the Guildhall in bath in 1778; in 1782 he supplied a pair of twelve light chandeliers to the 5thDuke of Devonshire for Chatsworth amongst other lighting; from 1783 to 1787 he furnished Carlton House for the Prince of Wales and his creations also adorned the White Drawing Room at Houghton Hall and the home of William Beckford during his exile in Lisbon.
Item Code: FA661